Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Poll: Encrypted Authentication

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:31:58 -0600

The University of Colorado at Boulder has been requiring encrypted
authentication for central services since Jan 2003 (wow, has it been
more than four years already?).

Flipping the switch takes a lot of communications, testing,
documentation, etc, and we postponed our initial deadline, but it's
great to have had it in place for the past few years.

Given the current state of clients, making the move should be easier now
then it was in early 2003.  Having to do client software upgrades should
be very rare now.

You can see some of our end-user documentation here:
http://www.colorado.edu/its/security/encauth/  It's from 2003, so it
doesn't include newer clients.  Using encryption has been integrated
into our general setup documents for all of our e-mail clients (current
docs here: http://www.colorado.edu/its/docs/email/culink/programs/) and
the older pages were just for the conversion.

This policy mentions encrypted authentication in item 7 -
http://www.colorado.edu/its/docs/policies/accesspolicy.html

Brad Judy

IT Security Office
Information Technology Services