Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Poll: Encrypted Authentication

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () RANCID BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:41:52 -0700

Christopher Penido wrote:
Hi everyone,

In preparation for some potential policy development, we would like to
take an informal poll.

Whose institutions require clients to use encrypted protocols for
applications which rely on central authentication (i.e., POP/IMAP over
SSL, SSH, SSL for web page authentication)?

UC Berkeley requires encryption or OTP mechanisms wherever any
authentication happens.  (Of course, we have had to make some exceptions
as legacy systems have had to catch up.)

Where possible, please include links to your University's related policies.

http://security.berkeley.edu/MinStds/AppA.min.htm

see section 5.

michael