Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fortinet unified threat management evaluation feedback needed

From: John Kemp <kemp () NETWORK-SERVICES UOREGON EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:32:30 -0800

Christian Hroux wrote:
Hello !

            We are evaluating different solution for Traffic shaping, IPS, firewall and Vpn. We came across Fortinet.
It seems to do all those function and more in one appliance. It`s called unified threat management but can it
sustains all those functions concurrently without choking? I am worry to put all my eggs in one basket. I know they
use ASIC instead of CPU but I would like to see all eight functions activated (firewall, antivirus, anti-spam, IPS,
IDS, traffic shaping, VPN)

I know Fortinet/Fortigate is used in universities. If you are using it, can you give me some feedback?

When the product came out, we received a spreadsheet from sales that
displayed the average bandwidth you could expect depending on the
features you enabled.  (Sorry, I don't have the document anymore.)
But an SE might be able to get you a copy of that.

--

John G. Kemp ( kemp () network-services uoregon edu )
http://security.uoregon.edu/ mailto:security () uoregon edu