Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fortinet unified threat management evaluation feedback needed

From: jkaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:34:19 -0500

We just went through the process of buying two Fortigate 1000As for our edge
network.  We are going to set them up as separate networks, student and
admin.  We will also have two ISPs (student and admin).  Each box will be
configured as two virtual boxes student and admin.  During production the
admin side will route to one physical Fortigate and the students to the
other.  In each case half of the Firewall will be a passive standby for the
other.  If a firewall or edge router or ISP goes down traffic will fail-over
to the other side.

We are going to have two 30 Mb internet connections (admin and student) and
the 1000A is rated at 2 Gb throughput (firewall only).

We like what we've been told regarding the Fortigate and are thinking these
two boxes are way overkill for our application.  We'll see.

We will make sure we schedule update during the night.

We are planning on running AV and IPS as well as Firewall.  I'll keep you
posted.