Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Linux OS Hardening Guidelines

From: Cam Beasley <cam () AUSTIN UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 03:42:42 -0500

Tim --

we used CIS as a basis for our Linux checklist:

 http://www.utexas.edu/its/policies/checklists/redhat-linux.html

and a few other platforms:

 http://www.utexas.edu/its/policies/checklists/macosx.html
 http://www.utexas.edu/its/policies/checklists/solaris10.html
 http://www.utexas.edu/its/policies/checklists/win2003.html

hope this helps,

~cam.

--
Cam Beasley CISSP CIFI
University Information Security Officer

On 10/11/06 6:55 PM, "Tim Lane" <tlane () SCU EDU AU> articulated:

Hi,

I am looking for relatively high level 'checklist' style guidelines for Linux
(and variants) OS hardening.  I envisage a 1-2 page checklist of principles
plus some specific more technical recommendations.

Would anyone have this sort of guideline documented that they would be able
forward to me?

Much appreciated if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

(02 6620 3290  7        02 6620 3033  - tlane () scu edu au
8 http://www.scu.edu.au