Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Linux OS Hardening Guidelines

From: David Lundy <dlundy () PACIFIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:03:20 -0700

Tim:
     I've used "Securing Linux - A Survival Guide for Linux Security"
from SANS.  It is for Red Hat Enterprise 3.0, but I have used it for
SUSE.  It did need a tweek here and there but was good and thorough.

Dave

----
David Lundy
Acting IT Security Officer
University of the Pacific
Stockton, CA 95211
Email: dlundy () pacific edu
Voice: 209-946-3951
Fax: 209-946-2898

Tim Lane <tlane () SCU EDU AU> 10/11/06 4:55 PM >>>
Hi,

I am looking for relatively high level 'checklist' style guidelines for
Linux (and variants) OS hardening.  I envisage a 1-2 page checklist of
principles plus some specific more technical recommendations.

Would anyone have this sort of guideline documented that they would be
able to forward to me?

Much appreciated if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

(02 6620 3290   7        02 6620 3033   - tlane () scu edu au
8 http://www.scu.edu.au