Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Linux OS Hardening Guidelines

From: "Chad McDonald, CISSP, CISA" <chad.mcdonald () GCSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:06:16 -0400

We use this one from Carnegie Mellon

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/usc20_essentials.html

On Oct 11, 2006, at 9:30 PM, Aaron Lafferty wrote:

These can be fairly decent... they try to cover the most common
platforms as well.

http://www.cisecurity.org/bench_linux.html

Thanks,
Aaron

On Oct 11, 2006, at 7:55 PM, Tim Lane wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for relatively high level 'checklist' style
guidelines for Linux (and variants) OS hardening.  I envisage a
1-2 page checklist of principles plus some specific more
technical recommendations.

Would anyone have this sort of guideline documented that they
would be able to forward to me?

Much appreciated if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

(02 6620 3290   7        02 6620 3033   - tlane () scu edu au
8 http://www.scu.edu.au

Chad McDonald, CISSP, CISA
Chief Information Security Officer
Georgia College & State University