Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access Policies

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:32:47 -0800

Todd's resource is excellent and provides some of the best current
thinking on policy and standards. However, you may also want to look
over the Payment Card Industry standards for remote access and multiple
factor authentication required for certain systems. The new PCI
standards will have a tremendous impact throughout the world when it
comes to IT security. The PCI Security Standards Council is now the only
non-governmental agency that has enforcement and punitive powers that
are global in scope and can bypass any government or other jurisdiction
to directly affect the operation of any public or private organization.
If you are developing policies and standards now, or are reviewing the
ones you have in place, they will need to meet the requirements of the
PCI standards if you want to stay in business.

Check out: https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/ for the DSS and
supporting documents. You are looking for Requirement 8 in the
pci_dss_v1-1.pdf.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)