Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI

From: Conor McGrath <conormc () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:59:48 -0500

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 09:56:30AM -0400 Mclaughlin, Kevin L (mclaugkl) said:
Hi:

I have been asked to look into PCI (credit card) compliance for my
university.  I was wondering if anyone knew of documented cases where
institutions of higher learning have been fined by VISA for
non-compliance.

Technically, the institutions don't get fined by VISA, the banks that
handle the institutions transactions do.  I'm sure the banks will then
pass that on to the institution.

I don't know of any universities' banks that have been fined thus far.
I'm not sure that would be made very public if it were to happen.

-Conor

--
Conor McGrath                                           Phone: (773)702-7611
Manager for Network Security                            Fax: (773)834-8444