Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:54:41 -0400

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:56:30 EDT, "Mclaughlin, Kevin L (mclaugkl)" said:
I have been asked to look into PCI (credit card) compliance for my
university.  I was wondering if anyone knew of documented cases where
institutions of higher learning have been fined by VISA for
non-compliance.

I don't know of any cases in specific where colleges have gotten fined.
I *do* know that a far more likely (and for most businesses, more painful)
result is getting a nice formal letter from Visa that basically says
"You suck.  We're not accepting transactions from you anymore".

Now, imagine 2,000 students lined up trying to pay the semester's tuition on
plastic... Still worried about a fine?  I'd worry more about students and
parents armed with pitchforks, torches, tar, and feathers. :)