Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Hosting Another IHE's Web Services in the Event of a Disaster

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:44:58 -0400

I tried to get a secondary DNS setup offsite but our DNS guy shot it down.
He said that the Tier1 DNS providers force an extended TTL to save traffic
and cycles on their DNS servers.  Therefore no matter what you set your TTL
to some folks will not be able to get to your backup site for an extended
period of time.

Has anyone experienced this?

I am looking to do this anyway in the near future as we are going to switch
ISPs soon and I want to ease the pain of re-numbering.