Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Security Awareness for students

From: Christopher Penido <chris.penido () NYU EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:02:45 -0400

Hi everyone,

I am currently the new Network Security Analyst at NYU and I'm
working on several security awareness projects for 2006-07. While our
group has had successes in the past in providing security training
and holding security awareness events for our Systems Administrators
and staff, we have had a more challenging time in marketing those
sessions and their content to our student body. Students are simply
not interested in security awareness because they have more pressing
issues to tend to on a daily basis.

With October being Security Awareness month, I would like to query
the EduCause community on some of the successful practices employed
in bringing more security awareness to the student community. I was
particularly interested to know if any group has found success in
reaching out to students via alternative communication methods, i.e.
via MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, University-hosted security
blogs, etc..

These newer types of methods interest me because they would appear to
break the "mold" of how things are currently done by some security
groups. Communicating through those aforementioned channels holds a
strong potential as being an effective means of communication given
that students frequently communicate through them and they are
comfortable with that technology.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, it would be most welcome :)

If this is supposed to go in another discussion forum, please let me
know.

Best,

Christopher

-.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-
-.-.-.-.-
Christopher Penido
Network Security Analyst
NYU  \ ITS Technology Security Services  \  security () nyu edu
chris.penido () nyu edu
Home  @   http://security.nyu.edu
Alerts   @   http://security.nyu.edu/alerts
News   @   http://security.nyu.edu/news