Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Illegal Downloads

From: Brian Friday <bfriday () LASIERRA EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:01:48 -0700

I can echo Matthew, we pushed our dorm networks off to business SBC
(now ATT) DSL lines a few years back and while we have not had zero
complaints in the last 5 years, the amount of complaints has been
exceeding low. Our complaint resolution proceedure is pretty similiar
as well.

The thiinking behind our choice of DSL vs traditional T(1-3, etc) was
students needs center more around fast download speeds. Student run
servers are expressly forbidden as is business use of our network. We
do route all internet a packeteer which filters or discards protocols
we do not allow. Round robin and queueing prior to the DSL modem is
used to optimize speeds and avoid overloading the DSL lines.