Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Illegal Downloads

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 13:44:48 -0500

At 01:29 PM 9/5/2006, Gibbs, Aaron M. put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Lately I've seen an increase in the number of illegal downloading of music,
games, etc. (the RIAA seems to have me on their permanent distro). I've blocked
the ports that I've been able to identify and restricted a number of sites. I
need some suggestions on how other institutions are handling this activity.

Personally I think you'll just end up playing a never ending game of
"whack a mole" with this strategy.  I'd suggest you purchase something
that can restrict your P2P traffic automatically, according to the
policies you set.  I'd recomend a PacketShaper.  You might also already
have some filtering functionality in your firewalls and or IPS.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.