Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Forensics

From: Daniel R Jones <Dan.Jones () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:47:22 -0600

As part of our incident response process we require external forensics
if there is an incident involving "private data" (in our data
classification scheme examples would be SSN, card holder information).
There are several reasons for this:

- if something does need to go to court we want the external expert,
- using an external firm helps eliminate the possibility of internal
staff being pressured deliver findings that are not supported by data,
- in the case of card holder information you do not really have the
choice but to use a PCIDSS certified forensics firm.

In addition to making sure your processes define how a potential data
breach would be handled I would also recommend that you have a policy
requiring immediate notice to your equivalent of a security office
whenever there is an incident involving sensitive data.

Dan Jones
Campus IT Security Office
University of Colorado at Boulder