Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Account Lockout Policies

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:19:59 -0400

Instead of hard lockout, consider having the authentication service
merely add an increasing delay to successive negative responses (and no
delay to the final positive response).

This slows brute-force guessers to a crawl, while not seriously
impacting the legitimate user who simply needs one-more-chance to
remember their new password.

Saburo Usami wrote:
Sacred Heart University is configuring its Windows 2003 systems to
conform with Best Practices as recommended by an external auditor.  In
addition to complexity requirements, their Best Practices
recommendations include password policies set as follows:

- Account Lockout Threshold: 3 Attempts
- Account Lockout Duration: Administrator Unlocks

We have two separate problems with this recommendation.

1. From an administrative standpoint, we feel that these settings may
actually encourage users (e.g., disgruntled students just prior to
mid-terms/finals) to cause trouble for others on the network by
deliberately shutting their fellow students or instructors out of the
network -- or running scripts to do the same -- and "security by
obscurity" seems like a losing bet in the academic network space.

2. From a technical standpoint, Windows 2003 does not allow a
"perpetual" lockout stance.  99,999 is the maximum number of minutes an
account can be locked out
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/bpactlck.mspx>.
This translates to about 69.44 days, which is less than a semester and
less than a summer break.  Hence, we can't truly comply with the
recommended lockout duration.

We would like to conform to the recommendations our auditors have made,
but are having difficulty with this one.  Any suggestions or insights on
your experiences with Account Lockouts and/or utilities that manage this
would be greatly appreciated.

Saburo Usami
Director of Networking - Telecomm - IT Security
Sacred Heart University

--

  Gary Dobbins, CISSP -- Director, Information Security
  University of Notre Dame, Office of Information Technologies