Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Account Lockout Policies

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:14:29 -0500

In addition to complexity requirements,
their Best Practices recommendations include password
policies set as follows:

- Account Lockout Threshold: 3 Attempts
- Account Lockout Duration: Administrator Unlocks

We have two separate problems with this recommendation.

We would like to conform to the recommendations our auditors
have made, but are having difficulty with this one.  Any
suggestions or insights on your experiences with Account
Lockouts and/or utilities that manage this would be greatly
appreciated.

Do you have the option of making the lockout apply only to the
IP address that the attempt came from?  Then you wouldn't (so
easily) be likely to cause a denial of service.

The 'administrator unlocks' is something you need to persuade
your auditor may not be workable.  (Something he'll probably
be convinced of pretty quickly should someone malicious lock
out the auditor repeatedly...)

IMHO even a 5 minute auto-reenable should be enough to undo
a password-guessing attack.

Graham