Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Account Lockout Policies

From: "Cheek, Leigh" <lcheek () UTK EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:00:40 -0400

Thanks, Leigh Cheek
(865) 974-4420

-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis Kletnieks [mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:56 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Account Lockout Policies

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:45:23 EDT, "Cheek, Leigh" said:

If the lockout duration is set to the Administrator Unlocks (0), then
you set yourself up for a denial of service attack. As an information
system auditor, I use the Center for Internet Security or NIST as my
guides for best practices.

As one of the un-indicted co-conspirators :) of the CIS stuff (I didn't
do the Windows one, but was involved in the Solaris, RH Linux, and AIX
ones), I'm always glad to see the CIS guides serving a useful role in
the BCP arena.. Thanks for the vote of confidence...