Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: GAO Peer2Peer survey

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:49:08 -0600

If anyone has any specific questions about the GAO survey I would be
happy to address them.

In summary, 100 institutions were selected as part of a sample.  The
letter from the GAO explains: "At the request of the Chairman and
Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and
Intellectual Property, Committee on the Judiciary, House of
Representatives, the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) is
conducting a study of how colleges and universities are addressing the
use of peer-to-peer software on their networks."  It is most likely that
the results will be part of a subsequent Congressional hearing and
EDUCAUSE will participate and report on the outcome.

This is the second time that the GAO has issued a study of P2P
filesharing at colleges and universities.  The earlier report (May 2004)
can be found at http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/CSD3215.pdf

-Rodney

Rodney J. Petersen
Policy Analyst & Security Task Force Coordinator

EDUCAUSE
1150 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1010
Washington, D.C.  20036
(202) 331-5368 / (202) 872-4200