Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re:

From: Scott Genung <sagenung () ILSTU EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:45:10 -0500

John,

We have been using in-line Tipping Point IPS appliances in production since April 2004. The reporting tools are very functional and have had very few false positives (that we've been made aware of!). We are quite happy with this solution

We also use a product from Lancope called Stealthwatch that uses NetFlow export records to identify anomalous behavior based upon application volume baselines. It generates useful reports and can issue temporary shuns to your firewalls dependent upon your policies. Together, this approach has been very effective in identifying sources of threat traffic.

csMARS behaves more like Stealthwatch than an IPS. csMARS also has a SIMS component to it but much of this is limited to Cisco products unless you want to do a great deal of customization.