Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Embedded OS vulnerabilities and patches

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:34:07 -0400

(As I understand it) Generally, CE is delivered through OEM's (as
distinct from end-user retail like WindowsXP), and it is they who are
usually responsible for providing updates.  The OEMs have access to
patches from MS, but may not always choose to ship an updated
composite system image.

Were MS to patch CE independently, it could break an embedded system.
 Imagine a cash register crashing because it visited
windowsceupdate.microsoft.com

  Gary Dobbins, CISSP -- Director, Information Security
  University of Notre Dame, Office of Information Technologies

Mayne, Jim wrote:
I am being asked to install some barcode scanners that use the embedded
Microsoft CE operating system and tcp/ip to communicate back to an
inventory database server. I do not see any applicable patches on
Microsoft's site nor do I remember seeing announcements of know
vulnerabilities of the embedded Windows CE operating system. My question
is basically how safe are these and how susceptible are they to possible
worms targeting OS vulnerabilities?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Mayne