Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password entropy

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:26:07 -0500

At 06:42 PM 7/19/2006, Basgen, Brian put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Roger,
the shorter phrase is stronger than the longer phrase?

I think that is questionable. One would have to work out the entropy.
One thing to think about is that effective cracking would need to target
phrases versus passwords. Thus, one could make an argument for security
through obscurity, since most crackers target passwords (and thus
mnemonics) the phrase approach is stronger. Also, consider that
depending on the cracking approach, either each letter is a factor in
the entropy (passwords) or each word is a factor (in pass phrases): an
important difference here is that characters have a limited amount of
variation (in a good scenario, 96 variations), while words could
theoretically have 500,000 variations, which significantly alters the
math! :) In the absence of math on entropy for passphrases, I tend to
think they are stronger (and easier).

Just to be clear, this was the very point I was making, which was why
I asked the question in the first place.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.