Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password entropy

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:22:01 -0700

  Stronger?  Probably not.  *All other things being equal*, length
almost certainly trumps complexity.

  More effective?  Sure.  It's a lot less typing, which makes it
easier to get the human to *use* it.  And it resists most of the
possible attacker shortcuts that the use of English words and
grammar subjects the longer phrase to (which effectively shorten
the long phrase).

  Some fraction of what I lose on length, I make back on complexity,
and a really strong password that people won't use doesn't do any good.

David Gillett