Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password entropy

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:08:48 -0500

At 12:18 PM 7/20/2006, Basgen, Brian put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Nice find! The sheet is 2 years old, so the processing numbers need to
be updated, and  the sheet is misleading about entropy, since he is
assuming a password cracker that uses brute force. On that assumption,
entropy is near 99%, excepting that even a 'random' brute force crack is
not exactly random. Thus, his comparison to pass phrases is equally
problematic. In other words, it is challenging to account for real world
math on password crackers without being accurate as to the cracking
method (pattern matching in particular, which all modern crackers do in
some form), and thus his generic approach misses that real-world gap
while creating a false theoretical gap with the entropy variable.

Just to be clear, I think he accounts for this as well, on line 6
of his sheet.  At least I *think* he does.  My reading is he reduces
the time to crack by 90% assuming users make poor choices.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.