Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password entropy

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:14:16 -0700

  If I choose

"1 am not going to PAY a lot for the muffler!"

as my "passphrase", *I* will probably use

"1angtPalftm"

as the actual *password*.  (Actually, that's only 11
characters, so I would use a different phrase -- perhaps
a memorized bit of poetry or song lyrics.)

  So I'm not using it as an actual passphrase, but as a
mnemonic.  Knowing the phrase gets me the password, but
knowing English doesn't much help someone crack it.
(Letter frequencies can still be an issue -- but note
that letter frequencies for initial (and terminal!!)
position vary from the average for text....)
  But knowledge of words and grammar don't help, nor
does a dictionary.

David Gillett