Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blackboard and IE Patch

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:25:40 -0400

Bill Betlej wrote:

Gary,
        Do mean Eolas?

Oops. Yes. :)

 Are you suggesting this is all some big conspiracy
episode in the browser wars between Firefox and MS IE? <grin>

No, not at all. Though how a patent infringement claim
against an open source project would be handled does present
interesting issues as does selective enforcement.

I hope this goes through OK. Someone may have patented the idea
of a "reply" button on email clients. If you don't get this,
let me know and I'll cut and paste the response into a new
message. I might have to compose individual messages to each
subscriber if the idea of distributing email through a
centrally maintained list is patented. Hopefully MIME doesn't
infringe on a generic idea to dynamically type and handle
content so your client knows how to handle the message if it
gets there through possibly infringing store and forward and
client/server technology. ;)