Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blackboard and IE Patch

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:36:16 -0400

Cal Frye wrote:

We've gone ahead with the patch, but this is the first I've heard of an issue
with Blackboard (those folks are in another department ;-)

Microsoft has somewhat bungled this one, but I still regard Blackboard's failure
to play nice with the patched IE a failure on their part -- Microsoft patches
are a feature of the landscape, and our network is where the patches need to be
applied as soon as released, even earlier if possible, as seen in recent months.

Perhaps they should code to be less reliant on Internet Explorer, hm?

Microsoft changed the way core functionality works. The only blame I can
place on vendors is not heeding Microsoft's warnings months ago.

From what I understand, the same functionality change could be required
of other vendors' browsers if they don't pay licensing fees to Ebola.