Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SANS Post about EDU vulnerability scanning assignment

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () RANCID BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 22:43:39 -0800

Gary Flynn wrote:
This was recently posted on SANS site:
http://www.incidents.org/

[snip]

The "TASK"

Student is to perform a remote security evaluation of one or more
computer systems. The evaluation should be conducted over the Internet,
using tools available in the public domain.

You got it. This is verbatim.  Professor Packetslinger wants the
students to conduct illegal activity involving port scanning and
vulnerability scanning.

[snip]

This is incredible; this University is encouraging illegal activity.
They are encouraging students to do something that is, in the words of
fellow Handler Adrien:
"Illegal, unethical, immoral.  How about just plain stupid and ignorant."

And handler Swa had this to say:

"Doing it is illegal in many parts of the world. But using authority to
have somebody else do something illegal is in some places on this world
even worse than the act itself and any decent prosecutor should chop the
prof in fine pieces over this.

Actually inciting somebody to do something illegal (even if the act
isn't performed) might be a case on its own. Now if he fails a student
over this, they might have no more reason not to put down an official
complaint for being asked to perform illegal acts.

[snip]

I admit to having been out of the loop when it comes to the legal side
of these things, but the last I remember (around 2000-01) there had been
at least one or two federal court decisions that found port scanning,
without other substantive damage, and without intent to defraud, not to
violate any US federal code.  My understanding is that the USA PATRIOT
act did NOT substantially change the port scanning aspect of cyber-law,
although it did lower damage thresholds (which could be used against a
port scanner).

My last check of California law showed it to be pretty ambiguous on the
subject--at best.  Have there been recent decisions or laws that
unambiguously indicate that port scanning--without other damage or
intent to defraud--is inherently illegal?  I am particularly interested
in the US, but other countries' laws would be of some interest as well.

Mind you, I agree that this is a really bad idea, but I'd like to
understand the legal issues a bit more.

thanks,
michael