Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Software that scans for SSN

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:56:30 -0500

Cam Beasley, ISO wrote:

hi Gary --

we apply individual pcre SSN & CC sigs to target
specific apps/ports.. this approach, combined with a
distributed sensor model has been very successful
and we have seen negligible increases in sensor
resources..  our false positive rate is less than
10%..

Cam, how do you handle informing people when you find someone
disclosing a credit card number - in email, for example?  Our CISO is
very sensitive about any faculty perception that we may be looking at
their mail (which we're not - we're doing the same sort of rule-based
matching and alerting that you are doing).  Do you talk to them face
to face, or do you have a standard letter, or what?  How much detail
of the captured packets do you include?  Is it fully automated or
is there a man in the loop?  Do you keep logs of the sensitive data
that was captured, possibly creating a secondary target for hackers?
Also did you create any specific policy relevant to this area?
We're struggling with these questions ourselves at the moment.