Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking of ZIPs at the mail gateway

From: Daniel Medina <medina () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:04:49 -0400

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 06:20:07PM -0500, Jason Richardson wrote:
I don't want to start an online debate about the reasonableness of
blocking ZIPs as a method of preventing viruses, but I am interested in
knowing about other schools that have done so.

 Ignoring the debate, from our documentation:

Windows uses the three-letter extensions on files to determine the type
of file. Many of the standard file types are executable files, meaning
that Windows will automatically start running them as a program as soon
as they are 'clicked' on. Following the suggestion in a Security Update
from Microsoft , we have blocked the transmission of the following
standard file extensions through our email system.

ade adp app bas bat chm cmd com cpl crt csh dll exe fxp hlp hta ini ins
isp js jse ksh lib lnk mda mdb mde mdt mdw msc msi msp mst ocx ops pcd
pif prg rar reg scr sct shb shs sys vb vbe vbs wsc wsf wsh xsl zip

    Mail Filters
    http://www.columbia.edu/acis/email/delivery/filters/

--
Daniel Medina