Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking of ZIPs at the mail gateway

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:24:44 -0500

We just rename them (along with a number of other 'vector' filetypes),
after a scan verifies no known virii.

Jason Richardson wrote:
I don't want to start an online debate about the reasonableness of
blocking ZIPs as a method of preventing viruses, but I am interested in
knowing about other schools that have done so.

TIA.

---
Jason Richardson
Manager, IT Security and Client Development
Enterprise Systems Support
Northern Illinois University

--

  Gary Dobbins, CISSP -- Director, Information Security
  University of Notre Dame, Office of Information Technologies