Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking of ZIPs at the mail gateway

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:41:02 -0400

Well, we do. The proportion of false positives is less than 10%
Most folks get the 'rename the extension' routine quickly enough. There've been
complaints, but few enough.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com
   Say Yes Twice for Oberlin Schools!   www.oberlinyesyes.com

  "Not the church, not the state; women must choose their fate." -- National
Organization for Women.

Jason Richardson wrote:
I don't want to start an online debate about the reasonableness of
blocking ZIPs as a method of preventing viruses, but I am interested in
knowing about other schools that have done so.

TIA.

---
Jason Richardson
Manager, IT Security and Client Development
Enterprise Systems Support
Northern Illinois University