Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Authentication in LDAP

From: James H Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:58:23 -0400

There could be some security issues.  Some of them have been touched on.

First, the issue of legacy systems and truncation.   If you are
geoffnathan, and I am geoffnat then who wins the race at the OpenVMS
computer that supports food service account where login names are
truncated to 8 characters? (hypothetical example, I hope)  See also the
comment later about maintaining a history of vanity names

Second, people have been known to lookup to see who does not use the
vanity logins, like people who have been at the university a long time,
e.g. the president, VP of business, VP of Alumni Affairs, the department
chairs of most departments, ...
For example Herman Hacker, chooses the vanity name of AlEinstein which
is similar to the name of the Chairman of the Chemistry department.
Herman logs in as AlEinstein.  The logs probably show AlEinstein logged
in, just before the Chemistry department web server was defaced, or the
hours were entered for student employees.  Will someone bother to really
look up who AlEinstein is, especially if Al Einstein is a distinguished
professor, university fixture, and department chair?  Or will they
conclude that it was a zero-day attack on a fully patched system?

Will the LDAP maintainer, maintain transaction logs so that Herman
Hacker can not just register AlEinstein one day, do some dirty work, and
then change it back to HermanHacker the next.

Just some thinking off of the top of my head.

Jim

  _____