Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Awareness Week or Month

From: Ken Shaurette <kmshaurette () MPCCORP COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:39:05 -0600

There has also been a grass roots effort led by Gideon Rasmussen, to create a National Security Awareness Day, NSAD.
HYPERLINK "http://www.ussecurityawareness.org"www.ussecurityawareness.org.

The concept being as follows:

HYPERLINK "http://www.ussecurityawareness.org/"According to the Department of Homeland Security, "Terrorists are
working to obtain biological, chemical, nuclear and radiological weapons, and the threat of an attack is very real."
"All Americans should begin a process of learning about potential threats so we are better prepared to react during an
attack." (HYPERLINK "http://www.ready.gov/overview.html"; \nhttp://www.ready.gov/overview.html). At the time of this
message, our country is at a heightened state of alert.

Please support the establishment of U.S. National Security Awareness Day as an annual observance (similar to Veterans
Day). The concept is simple, dedicate a day to mentoring U.S. citizens in the threats facing our country and what they
can do to help address them.

There must be top down support of a national security awareness program. Cyber security is a large part of that.
However businesses need to be reminded of their responsibilities to security legislation such as Sarbanes Oxley and
GLBA. Businesses also need to annually renew their commitments to information security, business continuity and
disaster recovery programs.

The U.S. needs to undergo a cultural change to effectively protect against the threats facing it. We need to continue
to improve our security posture. The government cannot do this on its own. It needs the support of its citizens. The
concept of U.S. National Security Awareness Day is a proactive approach.

Please take a moment to HYPERLINK "http://www.ussecurityawareness.org/lowres/takeaction.html"; \ncontact your Governor.
If these 50 individuals can be convinced to issue a proclamation in their state, the Congress, the Senate and President
Bush probably will not be far behind. If you want to do more, please contact your Senator, Representative, professional
organizations, friends and family.

Want to make a difference? Let's do it together.

Personally I think security awareness is extremely important not just to our organizations, but to us as individuals
for the good of our families.  The more we can keep the security message in front of people without them getting numb
to the message the better we will be.   We should be starting with education of the message at the kindergarten level
and carrying the message through all levels of education so by the time our youth are our age, security is as natural
to them as eating and breathing.

Ken

Ken M. Shaurette, CISSP, CISA, CISM
Information Security Solutions Manager
MPC Security Solutions Group, www.mpcscorp.com
(262) 523-3300 x60486

September 5-11 is Global Security Week, HYPERLINK
"file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ken%20Shaurette/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Signatures/www.globalsecurityweek.com"www.globalsecurityweek.com,
 - Make security part of your DNA.

October is CyberSecurity Month, HYPERLINK "http://www.staysafeonline.info/"www.staysafeonline.info  - Awareness does
not end when the week is done!!