Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Barracuda Spam Filter

From: Sherry Callahan <scallahan () KUMC EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:50:18 -0500

We've had wonderful results with the Barracuda spam filter here as well
and I would definitely recommend it.

At the moment, we're evaluating their new Spyware appliance.  Has
anyone else had any experience with it?

It seems that intrusion prevention technologies tend to pick up and
block a lot of spyware activity.  The value-add is definitely in
preventing malware from even reaching the desktop because it then
becomes a losing battle in terms of staff time needed to cleanup
infections. So I'm curious to hear what everyone else is doing in this
space:  are you relying on desktop anti-spyware blocker\cleaner apps or
are you also evaluating specific anti-spyware controls (excluding IPS)
at the network layer?  If so, would you mind sharing your testing
experiences?

Thanks,

Sherry Callahan
Director, Information Security
The University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd, MS 3024
Kansas City,  Kansas 66160
913-588-0966

fretzk () PHILAU EDU 7/25/2005 10:36 AM >>>
We've been using it since about March of this year.  We couldn't be
happier with the results.  Our users have been commenting and asking
us
what we did to reduce the amount of SPAM hitting their mailbox.

You are pretty much ready to go out of the box.  We had ours up and
running within an hour.

We highly recommend it!

Kerry Fretz
Manager, Network & Systems