Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on student user accounts

From: Mark Borrie <mark.borrie () OTAGO AC NZ>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:02:02 +1200

For quite a few years we have used 8 character names based on the
first 3 characters of their surname, the first 2 of their given name and a
3 digit random number. (some users need a 4 digit random number)

The usernames are never reused and are associated with a user for
ever. For students this username is used for theie email.

We also use a variation of this for staff, external users and role based
accounts.

The only problem we have is that certain names create interesting and
potentially offensive usernames. This year we also had 2 users object
to a username ending in 666. We have a process for in place for
changing usernames in extreme cases but in 7 years we have only had
5 complaints.

The standard naming we use has been so successful we see the
names being used in places such as hotmail and other external sites.

Mark.