Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on student user accounts

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:59:03 -0400

We had used a similar format, with an initial "S" for student, "F" for faculty,
etc. If there was no middle initial, we substituted an "X" as a placeholder, and
followed with four random digits. Obscure, so there were also email aliases of
firstname.lastname type. F'instance, my student uid would have been SCJF1234,
and my email address cal.frye () oberlin edu. But you might understand why Emily
Young, with no middle initial, found this scheme somewhat inappropriate ;-)

Might I suggest some algorithm using lastname first, i.e. FryeCJ? This makes a
simple alpha sort of username produce something useful... That's not, of course,
how we do it ourselves nowadays ;-)

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com
GnuPG ID 43061C16, Public key http://www.calfrye.com/cfrye.asc

  "In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take. "-
Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)

Jorgen Madsen wrote:
Several years ago we adopted the format abc123 where abc are somewhat
based on the individual’s

initials followed by 3 random digits. We call this identifier an NSID
(Network Services Identification).