Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AOL email concerns for nodak.edu (fwd)

From: Brian Smith-Sweeney <bsmithsweeney () NYU EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:25:27 -0400

Dick Jacobson wrote:

Below is a letter supposedly from AOL telling us our domain is not playing
nicely.  Is anyone else seeing these ?

I know we send our share for garbage from compromised computers, but most
of the complaints regarding thos incidents include timestamps or email
headers so they can be tracked.  This email simply says we are being
naughty (without any documentation) and they are going block us if we do
not clean up our act.

I am tempted to treat this as SPAM and submit a complaint to the origin
(appears to be in the AOL domain but I have not torn into the headers too
deeply).

Anyone else seeing these ?  If so, what have you done ?

--

We've seen them as well. One of my coworkers contacted AOL and got us
signing up for their spam report list, which I think Bryan mentioned in

One of the downsides I've noticed is that you get an email any time the
AOL user *reports* a message as spam, rather than when AOL receives it.
So if you had a machine that was being abused but has since been taken
down, you might continue to get spam reports for it for days or longer.
I started including "date last seen" in our reports, which helps a bit.
You also have to be prepared for that email address to get inundated
with emails (it is, after all, one email per aol user click).

Cheers,
Brian