Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Camera Policy

From: Chris Steele <chris.steele () ANGELO EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:06:41 -0500

All are IP based and the cameras have had little impact on network
performance because they have been segmented off using a logical VLAN.

We originally began by purchasing servers with large drives either
internally or drive cages, but we have since moved all of the camera storage
to SAN.  We keep 30 days of "live" data on the SAN for retrieval and another
30 days on tape.

I would say the cameras are approximately $2500 each.  There are a number of
different options that can change that price and keep in mind that does not
include storage space cabling, etc.  They do have power injectors or if you
have PoE switches that will work as well.

We are using Dell/EMC SAN and primarily 320GB SATA drives for this
application.

Example - (512) Bed Residence Hall has approximately (38) cameras taking jpg
image every 2 seconds when there is motion.  There is approximately 7GB per
day of data storage.

Thanks

Chris Steele
Infrastructure Services Manager
Angelo State University - IT
325-942-2334 x254
chris.steele () angelo edu

*Everything is possible...The impossible just takes longer*