Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Camera Policy

From: "David L. Wasley" <dlwasley () EARTHLINK NET>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:03:12 -0700

Ryan,  Attached is the UC Berkeley policy on surveillance cameras in
public areas.

Basically, I interpret the Berkeley document as saying 'any permanent
(more than 5 days) video or camera surveillance must be approved in
advance by the campus police.  Any other surveillance must take into
consideration a person's reasonable expectation of privacy in public
places (however that is defined under law or precedent).'

FWIW.

       David Wasley

-----