Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Endpoint Security/Policy Enforcement Products

From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:33:02 -0600

At 01:57 PM 3/10/2005, Gary Flynn wrote:
We're using Perfigo here but, thus far, only for
a registration system. We have not yet implemented
the configuration management/network access control
piece although several universities have.

At Iowa State, we wrote our own home-brew system, called Inspector. At
registration time, students are required to download the Inspector. It is
only resident long enough to perform security checks. It:

1. checks for null passwords and uses a 3,000 word dictionary to check for
weak passwords.
2. checks for a couple of key hotfixes, backleveled service packs and no
automatic updates
3. checks for presence of AV software, enabled on-access scan, automatic
updates of virus definitions, current definitions and a a recent on-demand
scan.
4. open file shares

In general, Inspector works very well. Though we find that the AV vendors
keep changing their record keeping techniques in an effort to baffle those
who are doing just what we are doing. Microsoft is having problems
detecting AV state for the same reasons.

Our policy makers are deciding just what to do with Inspector. We are
trying to decide if clean inspections will become mandatory and if
commercial products will replace our Inspector. With that in mind, I am
wondering:

1. Products like Perfigo/Cisco are intended to enforce connection policy.
   *         Do you have connection policies? (local passwords, current
hotfixes, AV software, etc...)
   *         What are they?
   *         Do you enforce connection policies with a product of some sort?
   *  Do you use a connection management product as strictly a information
gathering tool and as an educational tool?

2. Is there a clear leader in the commercial connection management market?
3. Why is it a leader? (I want to compare and contrast it with our
Inspector project.)
4. Many commercial connection management tools require installation of an
agent. Were you able to justify putting an agent on privately owned student
systems?

I firmly believe that connection management is going to be an important
part of network security in the very near future. The form connection
management will take is not clear. If any of you have thoughts about the
questions I've posed, I would appreciate your reactions.

Wayne Hauber (515) 294-9890
Network Information & Microcomputer Network Services
Office of Academic Information Technologies
109 Durham Center, ISU, Ames, Iowa 50011
wjhauber () iastate edu