Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spyware Security Awareness

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:56:22 -0500

PowerPoint Presentation by Yale InfoSec Officer Jim Hackett from
Feb 3 2005 Windows Systems Administrators meeting on Spyware
and anti-spyware software Spysweeper:

       http://www.yale.edu/its/security/Presentations/ByDate/2005/20050203-
SpyWare.ppt

Our web pages on Spyware, MarketScore, ID Theft and Phishing :

       http://www.yale.edu/its/security/spyware/
       http://www.yale.edu/its/security/marketscore/
       http://www.yale.edu/its/security/idtheft.htm
       http://www.yale.edu/its/security/phish.html

Interviews given to the press (Yale Daily News, Yale Weekly Bulletin &
Calendar):

 YB&C: Yale Bulletin & Calendar Jan 28 2005
       "In Focus: Information Technology Services: ITS is boosting its
arsenal against spam"
       http://www.yale.edu/opa/v33.n16/story4.html

   YDN (Yale Daily New) articles:

       http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=28025
       Spyware is the newest epidemic to hit PCs   1/26/2005
       Yalies who have been around computers for more than a few years will
remember the good old days of malicious software, when the      most common
scenario was a deluge of unwanted e-mails from infected friends and
abuse of the address book. Today, a new...

       http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=28025
       ITS examines spyware-related problems   1/12/2005
       University e-mail filters deleted more than 100,000 incoming copies of
a computer virus Tuesday morning, but Yale Information Security
       Officer Morrow Long said spyware and market research programs have
replaced viruses as the primary source of...

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM
  University Information Security Officer
  Director -- Information Security Office
  Yale University, ITS