Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Worm activity/port 445

From: James Riden <j.riden () MASSEY AC NZ>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:51:16 +1300

"Yantis, Jonathan Lindsey" <YantisJ () COFC EDU> writes:

   This is agobot or one of the many many botnet variants.  They use
   practically every exploit out there to spread and there are tons of
   different versions.  Watching IRC is the easiest way to catch them.
   We discovered them on our network due to them launching DDoS attacks
   from our network commanded by an IRC channel.  The two tools I use for
   finding these bots are these commands on linux sniffing internet
   traffic:

   tcpdump -n -i eth1 tcp port 6667 or tcp port 6668 or tcp port 6669 or
   port 7000

   ngrep -q -d eth1 "JOIN \#" not tcp port 80 and not tcp port 25 and not
   udp

snort with the 'bleeding' ruleset is also useful.

   PS: because of the sheer amount of different versions, AV will not
   always catch nor be able to clean the boxes.

Although our AV vendor quickly updated their sigs when sent a
sample. This is probably the easiest way to fix machines if you have
more than a few compromised.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer