Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Worm activity/port 445

From: Matt Kirchhoff <mek () PDX EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:05:42 -0800

Quoth Craig Blaha on 2/4/2005 11:54 AM:
We're seeing a lot of 445 scanning and an increasing rate of infection -
users complaining about a wide array of pop-ups, redirects and other
spyware type symptoms, slowing their systems to a crawl.

We're seeing this as well, and have been for several months. Most of the
445 activity is a result of SDBOT (Symantec name) variants. 445 attacks
are still #1 on the ISC top 10 list (http://isc.sans.org/top10.php).

The majority of ResNet systems we see with viral infections are infected
with this, as it spreads easily through weak admin passwords *or*
Windows vulnerabilities, depending on the variant.

Generally an executable is added to Windows\System32 (WinXP) and an
entry added to the assorted "Run" keys in the registry. Executable names
vary quite a bit. Manual removal seems to be the modus operandi.

--
Matt Kirchhoff
Information Technology Consultant