Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Worm activity/port 445

From: "Yantis, Jonathan Lindsey" <YantisJ () COFC EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:30:01 -0500

This is agobot or one of the many many botnet variants.  They use
practically every exploit out there to spread and there are tons of
different versions.  Watching IRC is the easiest way to catch them.  We
discovered them on our network due to them launching DDoS attacks from
our network commanded by an IRC channel.  The two tools I use for
finding these bots are these commands on linux sniffing internet
traffic:

tcpdump -n -i eth1 tcp port 6667 or tcp port 6668 or tcp port 6669 or
port 7000

ngrep -q -d eth1 "JOIN \#" not tcp port 80 and not tcp port 25 and not
udp

The first one will get clients trying to connect on standard ports and
the second one will watch for IRC joins on non-standard ports.  When you
find the commanding IRC host put a block on outgoing to it and see what
it catches.  We found about 3 different variants on our network
connecting to three different IRC servers.  If you want to know more,
search botnets and agobot on google.

Hope this helps

PS: because of the sheer amount of different versions, AV will not
always catch nor be able to clean the boxes.

 -- Jonathan Yantis - yantisj () cofc edu - (843-953-7770)