Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cyberattacks Down?

From: "Cam Beasley, ISO" <cam () AUSTIN UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:18:02 -0600

FYI and somewhat related:

Our research into IRC botnets over the past 2.5yrs
indicates that the number of Trojaned EDU hosts
operating within IRC is down from ~9.5% of all
compromised IRC bots identified in 2003 to ~2.7%
of all compromised IRC bots identified in 2004.
** Based on a sample of ~57K unique compromised
   hosts in IRC **

Perhaps EDUs should be congratulated?  EDUs
appear to have been working on the problem,
has the rest of the Internet?

Perhaps ISPs responsible for Cable/DSL users
should be held accountable. Our data indicates
that these groups are the fastest growing problem
wrt botnets..

This leads to the following questions:
  o why aren't ISPs more reliable in addressing their
    offending hosts?
  o why aren't ISPs that don't remove offending hosts
    once identified fined in some way?
  o why are ISPs who don't use reverse-path
    forwarding checks allowed to operate?

~cam.

ps. should note that in reporting all of these
compromised hosts, we noticed that the .COMs/NETs
stayed online far longer than the EDU hosts and
that in most cases the respective ISPs never
addressed the problems.

Cam Beasley CISSP CIFI
Sr InfoSec Analyst
ITS/Information Security Office