Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cyberattacks Down?

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () UFL EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:09:38 -0500

I'd second pretty much every point you made.

I'm fairly sure their skew comes from the fact that they're looking at
~corporate~ cyberattacks, not ones on individuals.  Attackers have merely
shifted their focus towards end-user machines, and so it's entirely
reasonable that corporate environments with increasingly effective
enterprise security policies, procedures, and products would notice a
decrease in attacks.

End users on the other hand are getting completely over-run with problems,
and I hope folks these days realize that spyware and adware is in many
ways just as bad or worse than the average script-kiddie 0wning a box.

Universities are in the interesting midpoint of being both enterprise
environments as well as hosts of a large number of end-user managed
machines as well, so I think we have a fairly unique perspective.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer