Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rogue FTP Servers

From: Geoff <leboldug () POST QUEENSU CA>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:35:32 -0500

Daniel Adinolfi wrote:
On Nov 02, 2004, at 13:44, Elliott Franklin wrote:

We are experiencing a small number of compromised machines running FTP
servers on various non-standard ports.  The most recent port used was
6366

We are going through something similar right now, perhaps 60 computers,
 though numbers are rising :(  Windows 2k, XP, and 2003 Server affected.

1840 or 4899/tcp some kind of remote control daemon
6358/tcp FTP server
9865/tcp MS Telnetd

FTP Banner
220 Rooted Moron Version 1.00 4 WinSock ready...

[...]
systems.  Recently, we have found that the latest variants of bots are
running HackDefender (or something similar) to hide malware and files
from the UI, even when running in Safe Mode.

Yes, HackDefender here as C:\WINNT\Config\isplogger.sys
Also seeing cleanlogs.exe.

--
Geoff LeBoldus                     Information Technology Services
Systems Programmer