Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: TippingPoint and Cisco IDSM2 IPS offerings (cross-posted to NETMAN)

From: chris Allison <allisoc () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:01:50 -0400

        We use tipping point 2400s in our network and have been quite
pleased.  We use them at the core to handle gig ethernet trunk links.  This
fall we installed two new ones to protect our residential network.  Due to
scheduling problems, we were not able to finish the installation before the
students moved back in.  The very first day, we had a network meltdown due
to sasser.  The Tippingpoints were rushed into production and the network
has been fine since.   The tipping points are stopping over 200K hits per
hour during some of the peaks last weekend.  This has given us time to find
and fix infected computers, without a significant impact on client usage.

        One of TippingPoints strong suits has been support.  Our network
engineer is not one to complement lightly.  After several problems which
would normally have left him grumbling about the company, he commented that
they are a class act.  Our experience has not been perfect, but all in all
it has been very good.  Well worth the cost in my opinion.

        I don't work for Tipping Point and I don't get any benefit from
them for posting this.  Your mileage may vary.