Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:38:16 -0400

Michael Mills wrote:

To not lose my main point, IT staff knowingly cracking passwords is not a
good practice.  It is also not part of any recommended "Best Practices".

Whose best practices? ;)

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/usc20_full.html#5.0
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/passwd_file_protection.html
http://csrc.ncsl.nist.gov/publications/drafts/security-testing.pdf
http://www.itsc.state.md.us/oldsite/info/InternetSecurity/BestPractices/Authentic.htm
http://www.more.net/security/best/unix10.html

Perhaps if we had initiated this discussion with the
term "password strength testing" rather than
"password cracking" it may have been received differently.
Network vulnerability scanners include password
strength testing along with their other tests. Those tests
too, could be viewed as cracking tools rather than
vulnerability tests.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer